12 October 2006

Teenagers are great!

I'm a mother of 2 teenagers and a bonus mom of 2 more teens. There are days I'm certain that I'm the most out of touch parent in the world. I don't know how to dress, I am an embarassment to my teenage daughters, and I can hardly wait for the day my son tells me not to get too close to him in public.

But, as a mom, I still love these years. Last night I squished down in the couch between my 14 & 16-year-old girls and they sat there, stuck, like I had just upset their comfortable worlds by sitting between them while they were watching one of their favorite shows. I grabbed my 14- year-old and said "get over here!" I tucked her under one arm and pulled my 16-year-old over so that she sort of "tipped" until she was leaning on me still rather stiff. It was quite the struggle, but as an outsider, you would have thought we were snuggling.

As they continued to tune into their show, they slowly got comfy until my 16-year-old plopped on my lap and said "mom, my neck hurts." That was a signal that she wanted a neck rub — but it was also a sign that she was snuggling in and remembering who I was... her mom. It was also the transition from "I'm too cool to snuggle with my mom" to a remembering that mom is always around to rub a neck, fix a hurt or listen to a complaint.

Sometimes it takes squeezing in between them to get their attention. But sometimes the attention is just what they need to bring them back from the teen world to ours.

Happy weekend!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home