28 October 2006

Parenting the high-energy child — Part 2

My two-year-old child has two nicknames: Herc (for Hercules) and the white tornado (he's a blonde with wild curls that remind you a bit of Einstein). There's a reason for these nicknames... The first is that on a good day, he's simply incredibly strong. Today he tried to pick up an oscillating fan that weighs close to what he does. There was no struggle, just a heave-ho and up it went into the air. My husband was standing right beside him and I thought that my hubby had helped him hoist it up. On the contrary, dad was proud that he could lift something so big and had not helped one little bit.

On a bad day, well, the white tornado says it all. The little guy can tear through a room so fast that you don't know what hit you. There will be books scattered, drapes thrown aside, food smashed and chairs tipped over. You can see the younger cat peeking out from under the sofa with her tail fluffed and the old one offering a wicked stare that says "touch me kiddo, and you're going to feel the wrath."

I'm getting older, so mostly I just grin and wonder where all this energy comes from. It's not what he eats, because he doesn't really like to eat. Eating takes patience, and he has none. So it must be heredity. However, I have been told that I was quite a calm child — so I'm not taking the blame on this one.

I try to use some practical strategies with him. One strategy I find extremely helpful is called "wear him out." I begin with a good tickling by blowing on his belly or nibbling on his neck. Then we roll around on the floor a bit and I ask him if he wants to kick the ball. It's a small ball, so it does little extra damage, but it gets him moving his little legs and running around the living room. Sometimes I can get the older kids to do this, and they're good at doing it until he's ready to fall to the ground in exhaustion... which is pretty much the purpose of the plan.

At this point I can feed him, or read to him, or get him to sit still long enough to trim his little fingernails. And you moms and dads know what I mean about that. Ever try to trim a high-energy kid's fingernails when they're hyped up??? Best of luck to you.

Try the ball-kicking activity. Your chances of success with nail trimming or accomplishing much of anything with your child will increase substantially after he's well exercised.

Take care! And get some rest!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home